Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Looking For A Good Book???


The Tale of Despereaux, by Kate DiCamillo

This is a must read! It's an adventure-fairy tale type of story. Despereaux Tilling is a little mouse with big ears and an extra large heart. Some of his loves include music, reading, and a beautiful princess. Despereaux is brave, courageous, and willing to fight for what he believes in. His life began as a struggle. His mother, who is French, says he is a disappointment as soon as he is born. The rest of his family seems to agree that he is very odd: his ears are too big and his eyes open far too soon and they all expect him to die quickly. Of course, he doesn't. Using his determination, he manages to get things going in the right direction! Another important character, Roscuro, lives in the dungeon and is out to get the princess. Miggery Sow's story is also a sad one, but she follows her dream. The lives of these three characters become intertwined as they all try to achieve their goals. This fairy tale is entertaining, captivating, and, an excellent story! I read it in one sitting because I just couldn't put it down! I hope you enjoy it as much as I have.

1 comment:

Lynn said...

I read this book awhile ago, and it was nice to read your review and come back to the book for a few minutes. I do remember enjoying the book, a sweet story and a quick read. Have you read her more recent book...the Edward Tulane one (I think that is the name, but I am not sure...).

I like your new blog format!

Lynn